Setting goals and mapping out a plan is crucial for success. If you're like me you have a list as long as your arm of things you want to accomplish. But without focus these goals are nothing but a wish list. Enter the S.M.A.R.T. Goal! By using the S.M.A.R.T. method you are able to set focused goals that best utilizes your time and resources. Using the S.M.A.R.T. acronym can help you fine tune your goal for the best results!
- What do I want to accomplish?
- Why is this goal important?
- Who is involved?
- Where is it located?
- Which resources or limits are involved?
2. MEASURABLE: You should be able to track your progress. When will I know that I have reached my goal?
- How much?
- How many?
- How will I know when it is accomplished?
3. ATTAINABLE: Can I accomplish this? Sometimes people set goals that are unattainable. Be sure that your goal is realistic.
- How will I complete this? Evaluate what it will require for you to reach your goal, (money, time, ability, resources etc.)
- What is or could stand in your way? Seek out and eliminate/negotiate obstacles.
4. RELEVANT - Is it worth it?
- Is the effort/discipline worth the results? In other words, is the juice worth the squeeze?
- Is this something you truly want?
- Is this your goal....or someone else's? Are you chasing your own dreams?
- Are you willing to do what it takes?
5. TIME - How long will it take to accomplish your goal? A goal should have a timeline.
- When do you want to accomplish your goal?
- Have you given yourself too much or too little time?
- What needs to be accomplished today?
- What needs to be accomplished this week?
Find others who have already achieved similar goals, and learn from them.
Remind yourself often WHY this goal is important to you.
Imagine life after you have reached the goal.
Help others along the way.
Be flexible... things change.
Be accountable, responsible, and honest with yourself. Don't settle for less that you are capable of.
Be good to yourself, celebrate the victories, learn from defeat.